>I’ve been busy making wine today, so with the couple of hours of the day left I decided to do some more experimenting with the Modern Twist teapot template…
Last weekend I took this template and appliqued it using the ‘stick and stitch’ method and two different colour schemes. I was trying to figure out whether the design would be effective as one solid piece, or look better with a bit more contrast. Have a look at the two blocks below and make up your own mind…
I’ve done a survey of the people who’ve visited this week, and the consensus is that the teapot with the contrast is much more effective than the plain one – the plain one loses the great shape of the teapot into one amorphous mass. I also quite like the effect of the contrast block despite the brown which generally isn’t a favourite colour of mine.
Having now decided that the contrast block worked better, I want to also experiment with different appliqué techniques. The stick and stitch examples from last week look fine, but they are still a bit flat, and I’m never entirely satisfied with the durability of this approach given that there are still raw edges ther. Set on experimenting further today, I’ve decided to try the ‘freezer paper’ method as well, to see what results I get.
So, I experimented with different scraps of fabric that I have and my crude-but-effective design wall to figure out what to combine. Next I ironed on and cut out the pieces but…when I went to stick the seam allowance I discovered that…my glue stick had turned into a dried out, rubbery useless thing. Doh! So, the rest of the experiment will have to wait until next weekend when I’ve been shopping and upgraded my glue stick. In the meantime I’ll write some notes for the bertcollections website on using a design wall and wait to see if any of you have comments on the two different versions of the modern twist block as well.
Happy creating for another week.