Catching up on last week’s posts…Last Saturday was an odd day. I felt like I had a hangover even though I’d only had one beer and my body and brain could not quite get in sync. Following a leisurely breakfast and a ‘walking of the fence line’ (getting some sunshine by checking the rabbits hadn’t been digging under the fences), I finally got around to getting some quilting done.
Having finished WILD Flowers, I am trying to get BAWARAO finished for the local quilt exhibition. This means it has to be submitted on 20 October so I need to get a wriggle-on to get the piecing finished. Having finished fixing the triangles last week, I joined them into flying geese sets, and then joined those into groups of three. The point is coming here…
To complete each side of the border I needed two groups of three triangles, and a centre triangle of a different size. Off I went with my ruler, pencil and scrap paper to figure out the dimensions of the pieces I needed for the centre section. I measured the length of the sides of the quilt top, measured the triangle groups, drew my centre triangles, added the seam allowance and went to cut them.
And I didn’t cut anything.
I wasn’t feeling very good. I probably wasn’t in the right frame of mind to do this.
I left the cutting until Sunday. And boy was I glad I did. I checked my measurements and yes, the pieces would have been too small and I would have had to recut them. Which would have meant I did not have enough fabric for the next border, and I really would have had a problem.
So today’s lesson folks, in case you were wondering is: when in doubt don’t. If you don’t seem right, or you are not sure, just stop. It’s probably not the end of the world if it waits another day. I might not get this quilt done for the show, but I will get it done. Phew!
Wishing you quiet and calm stitching.