I’ve just given my Granny’s Garden project a modern twist to get it back on the rails…here’s a quick video that shows how I do it.
It’s now granny gone mobile – all but the final joining of big blocks and binding can be done when travelling or away from home or just without much space.
Long-term followers may remember this project started by accident when I signed up for a quilting retreat and realised afterwards it was hand-sewing only. Ugh! Well, ugh no more.
After going into mass production of scrappy hexagons and flowers I figured if I continued that way I was never going to finish the quilt because it is too fiddly and space-consuming to join the flowers together, eventually layer up and then do fussy binding on all those hexagon edges. As beautiful as that may be, it didn’t fit the grab-and-go purpose of this project for me – when it can’t fit in a carry bag and be done on a bus, train or plane or chatting with friends then it wasn’t going to happen. So, now it can! No excuse for this one staying a UFO anymore.
Watch the video and let me know if you want some more info on how to do the modern granny (sounds like a disco dance😉).
Happy autumn/spring stitching wherever you are.
This was a quick project to get back into some sewing and stop us burning fingers with our dilapidated old oven mits so…I decided to just follow instructions on construction but with an easy modification to extended by 2″ for long arm as you can see if you look closely at the pieces in this photo.
[In hindsight I’d add 2″ to the width as well, see below].
Also I didn’t have insulated batting so about four layers of thin wool-poly batting in the mouth piece and two on the upper and lower pieces. You can see how I layered and cut these out below.
For the rest I used the instructions which were easy to follow. Now that I’ ve made these (for grown ups by the way), here’s some suggestions for next time:
- Add 2″ to the width of the body if the dragon and taper it in towards the mouth. Once we’d used these we found that there’s not enough room to easily get your hand in and out if you’re wearing a jumper.
- Add a quilting line between the two dots of the dragon’s mouth. This puts a line through where you might expect tonsils to be that makes it easier to bend the glove inside your hand.
- Do decorate. I added ric-rac for the spines of the dragon (before sewing the main pieces together) and simple eyes made of felt sewn on by hand (after the rest was finished). This adds so much character that these creatures are taking over our kitchen…
If you want some more pics and story on how I did the decorating let me know and I’ll add another post.
PS: Here’s a link to the pattern and instructions: puppet-mitts pattern,thanks to so-sew-easy.
Yes, I may not have posted for a couple of years but I’m still around. This time I’m back with a fun project…puppet oven mitts to replace our dilapidated old ones that are suffering holes and burns and general decay from many years of use. So it’s time for an upgrade and a new style in our kitchen…dinosaur style thanks to a FREE pattern from so-sew-easy.com. Looks like fun to me 🙂
Happy stitching and baking,
I was inspired by LucieTheHappyQuilter’s dresden snowflake (http://luciethehappyquilter.com/tag/dresden-plate/) to have a go at making one myself over the holidays. Here is the result, now happily decorating our side table.
I turned this into a table mat by pinning the dresden plate (minus the centre circle) onto felt, stitching around the outside and then trimming the felt to match the snowflake with my favourite sharp pointy scissors. Yes, there is a join in the felt as I had two small pieces and had to patch them together to fit the snowflake 😉
I am new to dresden plate and to appliqué of circles so it took me a couple of attempts to get the centre circle right. Once I found Sarah Fielke’s video on perfect circles and cut the centre circle bigger it was easy.
I put a matching circle of viseoflix between the fabric and the cardboard when ironing the circle, then took the viseoflix paper off once I was happy with the shape of the circle ( this will make sense when you watch the video). The viseoflix made it easier to fiddle the circle to the centre of the dresden plate then iron it into place and sew without fear of anything moving while I as sewing.
So thanks to Lucie and Sarah for a fun holiday project, I’ll get back to my finish it up pile now 🙂
After barely any sewing in the last year i am on a mission to finish projects to make room for other ones.
Last month the beautiful hexagon quilt-for-others quilt was returned for binding. Today I’ve put the binding on the fun quilt in the photo and now all it needs is the label sewn on before it goes off to another community quilt project.
There was a bit of a happy accident when I cut the binding strip too narrow – I used my bias binding gadget to make it 1″ wide binding and sewed it on all by machine. I am very happy with the results. I have tried several different ways to finish binding by machine. This 1″ single binding way is easy and finished well as long as you stop with the needle down right in the corner join before turning to the next side. What could have been a drama has worked out well – a nice ending for a Sunday afternoon of stitching.
PS: Thanks to Jo for the table leg extenders – they are great for the cutting table and make it so much more comfy to use. 👍
Note to self – next time you make chocolate cake have a shower before you sew…cake mix on my sewing machine. LOL!
After several very busy months I have made it back to the sewing room for a bit of fun…
I won a pack of 5″ squares in a raffle which are nit a colour or style I would choose myself – so I have taken on the challenge of turning them ini something I like to be donated to our local community quilt program.
The quilt is proving quick and easy – a good way to ease back into some stitching.